I am an ice cream person.
Ice cream is a universal sweet relief and can be a lot for a lot of people. You can also do a lot with one plain vanilla scoop. But that's for some other time. Today is the time for unimaginable flavours.
Today while traipsing through a distant suburb of the newer boundaries of Mumbai (New Mumbai if you insist) I remembered a local ice cream parlour that is very experimental with flavours in that vicinity that I have heard a lot about.
Now local ice creams are dime a dozen (these days) in Mumbai and have a tremendous variety of flavours - mostly specialising in fresh fruit flavours and most have homeliness to its texture - a creamy, hand churned and really fresh.
But that is not all this particular ice cream parlour is famous for.It is a small, unassuming and very customer and eco friendly parlour. And one the first things I noticed is the freshest flavour, scrawled in chalk, available is jackfruit (fanas as it is known in marathi).
Before I could squeal and demand a taste, I read the the menu written on the wall and at the moment knew that nobody had exaggerated about the different flavours. Present in the ice cream parlour were chilli, lime and pan masala flavoured along with tender coconut, custard apple, jackfruit, fig, mango and dry fruits. One particular flavour that I wanted to try and it was not there was ginger!
I managed to eat spoonfuls of chilli and lime and cant quite describe the sensations. Chili went down like regular ice cream but left in its wake a spicy trail running down my throat.. which lasted through most flavours and well into the evening. It is an acquired taste, will definitely tell you that. But teamed with chocolate should taste superb am sure.
The second (or should I say third since I had already tasted jackfruit and gleefully ordered a pack of it) was lime. It was tart, did not taste like ice cream but could not be mistaken for sorbet either. Refreshing and delightful.
We returned home with with a pack of jackfruit and jambhul (or java plums) flavoured ice creams. If you are ever in thane, do visit this icre cream parlour called Temptations. Here are the contact details.
Some quick recipes for lemon ice cream and chilli ice cream though am not sure how close they are to the lovely spoonfuls of bliss that I tasted.



1 Comments:
Darn. You had me going "whoopie" when I saw the New Bombay bit... and then to dicover jackfruit icecream is far away in Thane. Argh.
Post a Comment
<< Home